Terms in Aussie Rules Football
a glossary of terms
- the position of teams on the premiership list
Determined by their win-loss ratio and percentage.
- laws of the game committee
- The AFL serves as the sport's governing body, and is responsible for controlling the Laws of the Game with the advice of the Laws of the Game Committee
- an attacking player who runs into space
And away from their direct opponent, hoping to attract a pass from a teammate.
- leather poisoning
- a player who gains many possessions during a game
- loose ball get
- a disputed ball at ground level
Not under direct physical pressure and resulting in an opportunity to record a legal disposal. Counted as a contested possession.
- loose man in defence
- a player who typically spends an entire game without a direct opponent
One who assists other defenders in the team when necessary, and is often heavily involved in rebounding.
- low tackle
- contact made to a player below their knees
Results in a free kick against the tackling player.